Review by Greg Neyman
© Old Earth Ministries
Young earth creation science author Ken Ham explains the methodology (strategy) of the young earth creation science ministry he had been working for (Creation Science Ministry (Queensland) (or CSM). It is interesting to note that I recognize many of the same strategies in the Old Earth Ministries website. Here are the main points.
1. CSM is totally convinced that God's Word is truth. As an old earth creationist, so am I! There is no difference here between progressive creationists, and many theistic evolutionists, and the position of young earth creation science. The evolutionist can agree 100 percent with the historical account given in the Bible.
2. God expects His children to be ready to give answers. I agree, and that is the purpose of Old Earth Ministries...to aid old earth creationists when they encounter false young earth creation science arguments.
3. Practical help for the layman. Again, this is a goal of Old Earth Ministries as well. To the fullest extent, articles are written in a simple format, without technical jargon, so that they are easy to understand. This is very much like Answers in Genesis, as they produce simple articles (technical articles would prove an old earth, so they don't go that deep into the science).
4. The main aim is to preach Christ. This is true of Answers In Creation as well. However, we are positioned to preach Christ to the evolutionist, because you can accept both Christ and evolution. Most evolutionists scoff at young earth creation science, and thus they are unreachable to Answers in Genesis and other young earth creation science ministries.
5. Pre-evangelism. When they preach young earth creation science, they believe they are preparing the hearer to be receptive to the Gospel. The same is true with Old Earth Ministries. We prepare the reader to accept that evolution is okay, that old ages is ok, and that they can believe in both and believe that God created the world. Again, we are much better suited to reach the evolutionist.
6. Creation Science and Christian Education. This is one of the key ways that young earth ministries have succeeded. They reach out to the youth and teach them their version of creation, with great success. Old Earth Ministries does not have a direct ministry in this area, but we provide links to other sites that do. One of the main areas in this arena is the home school market. We have seen inroads recently, with Christian publications that are neutral towards the age issue.
As Answers in Genesis knows, the key to reaching kids (brainwashing them) is to reach them while they are young. Then they are much more likely to stay a young earth creationist. However, studies have shown that they are failing. In a recent study of students at Wheaton College, 44 percent of the respondents entered college as young earth creationists. However, at the time the survey was taken, only 27 percent remained young earth. Hopefully, by the time they graduate, that will be down to zero.
Reading the methodology of a young earth ministry is really no different from an old earth ministry. The difference is one of them is wrong, and one is right.
This article is on the web at answersingenesis.org/creation/v3/i2/methodology.asp
If you are not a Christian, and you have been holding out on making a decision for Christ because the Church always preached a message that was contrary to what you saw in the scientific world, then rest assured that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God, and you can believe in Christ and receive salvation, while still believing in an old earth. Click here for more.
Are you a Christian who believes in young earth creationism? Now that we have shown the many difficulties of the young earth creation science model in this and many other articles, how does this impact your Christian life? If you are a young earth creationism believer, click here.
To learn more
about old earth creationism, see
Old Earth Belief,
or check out the article
Can You Be A
Christian and Believe in an Old Earth?
Feel free to check out more of this website. Our goal is to provide rebuttals to the bad science behind young earth creationism, and honor God by properly presenting His creation.